21 April 2010

Well, this sucks

OK, so I have to admit to being a full-blown romantic; I love the ideas of romantic comedies and the love of Jane Austen books. I was fully convinced as a child that my Mr. Right would be blissfully easy to find and just as easy to hold on to. And yet...and yet...real, adult, non-happy ending for sure life has reared its head to let me know that it is, in fact, hard work and not at all like the movies.

I met what I considered to be a fairly close proximity to a guy who could become Mr. Right. Tall, well read, loves to travel, likes to debate philosophy and psychology over a glass or two of wine, ta da! I had done it; I had found him. Easy to talk to, makes me laugh, just a bit dorky and awkward (much like myself!), prefers living overseas as compared to in the US, and at a crossroads in his life and prepared to travel the world until his money runs out or he finds a place he falls in love with.

All of this would be fantastically wonderful if at this crossroads, I was invited along. When I broached the topic, with my summer plans of cat-sitting in Paris, asking if he'd come and visit me, he said "we'll see." OK, so that's not a deal-breaker. A few minutes later, after discussing the volcano that had cancelled his much-anticipated flight to Europe, he burst out with a brief diatribe that sums up to: he can't wait to leave and never come back to America, he's debating skipping out on his best friend's wedding (for which he agreed to be the BEST MAN) so much is his passion for not ever coming back here, he has no personal ambition for life, he has no attachment to anything that relates to America (hello! I'm here!), he wants to completely disappear, and he sees himself becoming a monk because there is no other life he'd be suited for or interested in.

Fan-fucking-tastic. If he can skip out on his best friend's wedding, who he's known for over a decade, how much easier to skip out on a woman he's known for 6 months and only been in the same country with for 6 weeks. As much as I feel like I should have seen this coming, and how I really shouldn't have let myself fall for him, it sucks.

On another note, check out my articles at matadornetwork -
http://matadornights.com/best-10-out-of-900-brighton-pubs-english-seaside-drinking-at-its-finest/
http://matadornights.com/the-good-the-bad-and-the-beautiful-of-barbecue-in-kansas-city-mo-ks-usa/

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there. I can't tell you how many duds I've dated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sista, it happens all the time. After the last one, I am feeling like forget this love stuff, I'll just devote myself to overeating and television. But every time I really feel that way, someone shows up. I need a rabbit-proof fence or something.

    I am here by way of my Twin, Riot Kitty. :-)

    ReplyDelete