23 July 2009

Aspens

When I was a child, my family vacationed at a small red cabin in a picturesque small town in Colorado, complete with a view of Pikes Peak from the front window. It took around 8 or 9 hours to get from Kansas to Colorado, and it was always a relief to finally pull into the drive. Each year, I was struck by the sweet and pungent smell of pine trees and the soft and unmistakable whisper of quaking aspen leaves.

So as I sit in my studio apartment where last night, the predominant smell was skunk (a story for another day) and the sound is of my window fan, I dream of the quiet whisper of Colorado aspens.





Clockwise from upper left:

5 comments:

  1. I love Colorado!!! I have lived here my whole life and can't imagine living anywhere else :0) And the aspens are so beautiful!!! I love driving up to Estes Park when they are changing colors. Thanks so much for including my painting on your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so nice of you to do...thanks for including my aspen vase in this collection. Both of the painting as well as the jewelry are all amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this collection. Thank you for including my aspen earrings! Being an oregonian, there is much nature and forestry here, and that is what inspired these...Im glade to hear it inspires others! thanks agian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete